Xulu Jones, of XuluProphet, is certainly one of Savannah’s most unique artists. He’s had his fair share of troubled times, but has risen like a phoenix, and overcome tremendous adversity to achieve local and regional success. Here, he talks about his musical background, his multiple business ventures, and projects with other artists.
1. What are some of your earliest musical memories?
Sitting in my parents bedroom while my ma played and sang in the morning while my pop was dressing for work. A spring morning in the Bronx mid 70’s.
2. Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
Prince, Hendrix, The Police, Parliament, Gap Band, SOS band.
3. How did you end up in Savannah?
Followed a woman here in the middle of a 30 addiction to alcohol. I had always wanted to be closer to the ocean.
4. What are some of your favorite venues in the Savannah area?
Huc A Poos, Victory North, Barrelhouse, and Wormhole. Getting to know the Jinx better and enjoying that too.
5. What were some of your favorite performances ever in Savannah?
Consider the Source at Wormhole, Word of Mouth at Forsyth Park in 2012. Of my own def Passafire, Wailers, Yellowman.
6. Is there any Savannah artist or musician you have not collaborated with but have always wanted to?
I’m currently working on a song with Basik Lee, that was a long time coming.
7. What are you most proud of in your personal life or musical career?
Being a father is #1, but I’m proud of myself and my band for building what we’ve built from sitting on river street busking to being a regional touring act.
8. Talk a bit about your other business ventures?
I had to learn a great deal about computers and social media to make the band work online. Now a days I use those skills to promote other brands, and help them optimize their SEO.
9. Your thoughts on the current state of the Savannah music scene?
TBH I think I am out of touch with the scene these days. I have had my nose to the grindstone for the past few years concentrating on my own thing. I’m excited to be watching this next batch of musicians who play their own music.
10. Do you have any upcoming projects you’d like to mention?
We are working on a studio project, and planning next years tours.